41404 – Health policy researchers, consultants and program officers

Broad Occupation Category

4 – Occupations in education, law and social, community and government services


1 – Occupations usually require a university degree

Major Group

41 – Professional occupations in law, education, social, community and government services

Broad Occupation Category

4140 – Policy and program researchers, consultants and officers

Broad Occupation Category

4140 – Policy and program researchers, consultants and officers

Health policy researchers, consultants and program officers conduct research, produce reports and administer health care policies and programs. They are employed by government departments and agencies, consulting establishments, universities, research institutes, hospitals, community agencies, educational institutions, professional associations, non-governmental organizations and international organizations.

Let us help you Apply for Canada PR as Health policy researchers, consultants and program officers

Example Titles

  • Child health care programs planning officer

  • Drug and alcohol abuse consultant

  • Health care consultant

  • Health care planner

  • Health policy research analyst

  • Health promotion program officer

  • Health services researcher

  • Mental health programs consultant

  • Policy development officer - nursing homes

Main Duties

This group performs some or all of the following duties:

  • Assist in developing government health policy by reviewing relevant literature, conducting interviews, collecting and analysing statistical data, and providing advice to senior managers and officials on issues such as health promotion, regulation, standards and financing

  • Design and implement health projects or programs

  • Maintain, update and manage health information databases

  • Compile and analyse statistical information provided by private and public health care institutions and organizations and produce reports

  • Monitor and evaluate health care programs operated by government departments and agencies or private organizations

  • Assess compliance with health standards and identify remedial action if necessary

  • Conduct evaluations and assessments of health projects and programs

  • Provide consulting services to clients in private establishments or government departments or agencies

  • Respond to internal and external program and policy information requests

  • Produce newsletters, magazines and other documents to provide information to association or organization members or the general public

  • Present the views of an association or organization to politicians, government officials, the media or the general public.

Employment Requirements

  • A bachelor's degree or college diploma in health science, public administration, recreation administration or hospital administration, or a bachelor's degree in social science, is required.

  • A graduate degree in health, social science or an administrative discipline may be required.

  • Several years of experience in the health field as a health care professional or as a community or social service worker are usually required.