41400 – Natural and applied science policy researchers, consultants and program officers

Broad Occupation Category

4 – Occupations in education, law and social, community and government services


1 – Occupations usually require a university degree

Major Group

41 – Professional occupations in law, education, social, community and government services

Broad Occupation Category

4140 – Policy and program researchers, consultants and officers

Broad Occupation Category

4140 – Policy and program researchers, consultants and officers

Natural and applied science policy researchers, consultants and program officers conduct research, prepare reports, provide consultation and advice and administer programs in a variety of areas related to the natural and applied sciences. They are employed by federal, provincial and municipal governments, computer and office furniture manufacturers, educational institutions, research organizations, consulting firms, environmental and conservation organizations, or they may be self-employed.

Let us help you Apply for Canada PR as Natural and applied science policy researchers, consultants and program officers

Example Titles

  • Certified ergonomist

  • Emergency management analyst

  • Emergency preparedness planner

  • Energy policy analyst

  • Environmental impact analyst

  • Environmental issues lobbyist

  • Environmental program development supervisor

  • Ergonomics specialist

  • Fisheries analyst

  • Industrial hygienist

  • Natural and applied sciences program officer

  • Natural resources policy analyst

  • Occupational hygienist

  • Recycling program coordinator

  • Scientific consultant

  • Technology transfer officer

  • Transportation safety analyst

Main Duties

This group performs some or all of the following duties:

Ergonomists or human factors specialists

  • Conduct research and advise on, and intervene in the physical, social and psychological interrelationships between persons, their equipment and working or living environments to ensure that the design, configuration and use of equipment, procedures and environmental conditions maximize safety, productivity and comfort.

Occupational or industrial hygienists

  • Study, evaluate and control physical, chemical and biological hazards and stresses in the workplace

  • Report and document investigations and conclusions

  • Suggest changes to work environments and processes

  • Provide information to workers and managers or employers on methods to reduce the risk of injury or illness from specific occupational hazards

  • May teach safe work procedures, participate in emergency response planning, testify at hearings and report findings at scientific conferences or in scientific journals.

Patent agents

  • Advise clients on elements of patent law and on the patentability of inventions

  • Conduct patent searches

  • Prepare patent applications

  • Represent clients before the patent office.

Technology transfer officers

  • Transfer and integrate new technologies, usually from university or government research and development environments, to commercial and industrial applications and ensure the protection of intellectual property of researchers and developers.

Science policy and program officers

  • Conduct research and advise on policies or develop or administer programs related to transportation, emergency preparedness, communications, natural resources, agriculture, the environment, traditional and alternative energy technologies, land use, recycling and other scientific fields

  • Promote public awareness and education on issues such as utilization of natural resources, the environment, and reprocessing and reduction of waste.

Employment Requirements

  • A bachelor's degree or college diploma in a related scientific or technical discipline is usually required for occupations in this unit group.

  • A master's degree in a related scientific discipline may be required.

  • Certification through the Canadian College of Certified Professional Ergonomists is required to use the title "Canadian Certified Professional Ergonomist (CCPE)". Membership with the Association of Canadian Ergonomists may be required.

  • Occupational hygienists may require certification by the Canadian Registration Board of Occupational Hygienists.

  • Patent agents require 12 months of work experience in the patent field and successful completion of examinations set by the Commissioner of Patents. They may also be required to be listed in the register of patent agents.

  • Occupations in this group that are involved in green building design and technologies development may require the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification offered by the Canadian Green Building Council.