31112 – Audiologists and speech-language pathologists

Broad Occupation Category

3 - Health occupations


1 – Occupations usually require a university degree

Major Group

31 – Professional occupations in health

Broad Occupation Category

311 – Health treating and consultation services professionals

Broad Occupation Category

3111 – Dentists, optometrists and audiologists

Audiologists diagnose, evaluate and treat individuals with peripheral and central hearing loss, tinnitus and balance problems. Speech-language pathologists diagnose, assess and treat human communication disorders including speech, fluency, language, voice and swallowing disorders. Audiologists and speech-language pathologists are employed in hospitals, community and public health centres, extended care facilities, day clinics, rehabilitation centres and educational institutions, or may work in private practice. Audiologists and speech-language pathologists who are supervisors are included in this unit group.

Let us help you Apply for Canada PR as Audiologists and speech-language pathologists

Example Titles

  • Audiologist

  • Audiology clinician

  • Certified audiologist

  • Clinical audiologist

  • Educational speech-language pathologist

  • Research audiologist

  • Speech therapist

  • Speech-language clinician

Main Duties

This group performs some or all of the following duties:


  • Develop and administer audiometric tests and examinations using specialized instruments and electronic equipment to diagnose and evaluate the degree and type of patients' hearing impairment

  • Plan and implement habilitation/rehabilitation programs for patients, including selection, fitting and adjustment of amplification devices, such as hearing aids, balance retraining exercises and teaching speech (lip) reading

  • Educate and counsel patients and families regarding the nature, extent, impact and implications of hearing loss and treatment

  • Establish personalized care plans working as a member of an interdisciplinary team

  • Conduct research related to hearing and hearing disorders

  • May instruct and supervise audiometric technicians, students and other health care personnel.

Speech-language pathologists

  • Administer tests and examinations and observe patients to diagnose and evaluate speech, voice, resonance, language, fluency, cognitive-linguistic and swallowing disorders

  • Develop, plan and implement remedial programs to correct speech, voice, language, fluency, resonance, cognitive-linguistic and swallowing disorders

  • Establish group and personalized care plans working as a member of an interdisciplinary team

  • Educate and counsel patients and families regarding communication and swallowing disorders

  • Conduct research on speech and other communication disorders and on the development and design of diagnostic procedures and devices

  • May instruct and supervise communicative disorders assistants, students and other health care personnel.

Employment Requirements

  • Audiologists require a master's degree in audiology.

  • Speech-language pathologists require a master's degree in speech-language pathology.

  • Registration with a regulatory body is required for audiologists and speech-language pathologists in Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia.

  • Membership in the national association, Canadian Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists, is usually required.

  • In some jurisdictions, audiologists may be required to obtain a separate licence to dispense hearing aids.