21109 – Other professional occupations in physical sciences

Broad Occupation Category

2 - Natural and applied sciences and related occupations.


1 – Occupations usually require a university degree

Major Group

21 – Professional occupations in natural and applied sciences

Broad Occupation Category

211 – Professional occupations in natural sciences

Broad Occupation Category

2110 – Physical science professionals

Professionals in other physical sciences occupations conduct theoretical and applied research in fields of physical science. Metallurgists, soil scientists and physical scientists and researchers are included in this unit group. They are employed by governments, educational institutions and a wide range of industrial establishments.

Let us help you Apply for Canada PR as Other professional occupations in physical sciences

Example Titles

  • Astronaut

  • Ballistics examiner

  • Materials scientist

  • Metallurgist

  • Physical metallurgist

  • Research scientist - ceramics

  • Research scientist - composite materials

  • Soil scientist

Main Duties

This group performs some or all of the following duties:


  • Conduct studies into the properties and production of metals and alloys.

Soil scientists

  • Conduct research into the composition, distribution and evolution of soils.

Material scientists

  • Conduct research into the properties, composition and production of materials such as ceramics and composite materials.


  • Command, pilot or serve as crew members of a spacecraft to conduct scientific experiments and research, and participate in space missions as mission specialists to maintain spacecraft, install and repair space station equipment and launch and recapture satellites.

Employment Requirements

  • A bachelor's degree in metallurgy, physics, chemistry, or a related physical science discipline is required.

  • A master's or doctoral degree is usually required for employment as a research scientist.

  • Advanced degrees in a broad range of applied science areas, such as engineering or medicine or licences may be required for some occupations in this unit group.