14202 – Collection clerks

Broad Occupation Category

1 – Business, finance and administration occupations


4 – Occupations usually require a secondary school diploma; or several weeks of on-the-job training

Major Group

14 – Administrative and financial support and supply chain logistics occupations

Sub-major group

142 – Financial, insurance and related administrative support workers

Minor group

1420 – Financial, insurance and related administrative support workers

Collection clerks collect payments on overdue accounts and bad cheques and locate debtors to make collection arrangements. They are employed by collection agencies, utility companies, department stores, loan companies, banks and credit unions, and by financial and licensing departments within governments.

Let us help you Apply for Canada PR as Collection clerks

Example Titles

  • Bill collector

  • Collection clerk

  • Collection officer (except taxation)

  • Collections investigation officer

  • Collector

  • Credit and collection clerk

  • Locator - collection

  • Skip tracer - collection

Main Duties

This group performs some or all of the following duties:

  • Notify debtors of overdue payments and accounts by telephone, mail, and registered mail, and continue the notification process if reply is not received

  • Resolve collection issues by making payment arrangements by telephone or visit to debtor

  • Recommend further action or discontinuation of service in cases where payment is not forthcoming

  • Trace and locate debtors, and may contact debtors' friends, neighbours, relatives and employers to obtain information

  • Answer correspondence, prepare reports and maintain records and files related to collection work

  • May work with on-line accounts and systems.

Employment Requirements

  • Completion of secondary school is required.

  • A business college diploma may be required.

  • A period of on-the-job training is often provided for collection clerks and collection officers.

  • A collections licence issued by the province or territory of employment is usually required.