11102 – Financial advisors

Broad Occupation Category

1 – Business, finance and administration occupations


1 – Occupations usually require a university degree

Major Group

11 – Professional occupations in finance and business

Sub-major group

111 – Professional occupations in finance

Minor group

1110 – Auditors, accountants and investment professionals

Financial advisors counsel individuals on financial decisions such as investments, cash management, and estate planning. They establish personal financial plans according to clients’ objectives and guide them through the implementation of the proposed strategies that may be adjusted as the situation evolves. They are employed by banks, trust companies, and investment firms, or they may be self-employed.

Let us help you Apply for Canada PR as Financial advisors

Example Titles

  • Account manager

  • Financial advisor

  • Financial consultant

  • Financial planner

  • Financial security advisor

  • Personal finance advisor

  • Personal investment advisor

Main Duties

This group performs some or all of the following duties:

  • Develop personal financial plans for clients covering cash management, finances, insurance coverage, investments, retirement and estate planning, taxes and legal matters

  • Analyze clients' financial records, set goals and develop a financial strategy

  • Advise clients on implementing the financial plan to help them achieve their goals

  • May also arrange for the purchase and sale of financial products and investments depending on the licence held, and monitor the portfolio to ensure its quality and profitability

  • May help to expand business and attract new clients.

Employment Requirements

  • A bachelor's degree in business administration, commerce, economics or a related field is usually required.

  • The designation Certified Financial Planner, awarded by the Financial Planners Standards Council of Canada, may be required.

  • To sell regulated financial products and investments, such as annuities, RRSPs and life insurance, a licence is required from the appropriate governing body.

  • Certification as a Financial Planner is required in Quebec.

  • Various training programs and courses are offered by financial institutes and organizations, such as the Canadian Securities Institute, Institute of Canadian Bankers, CFA Institute, Investment Funds Institute, Canadian Institute of Financial Planning, and Trust Companies Institute of Canada, and may be required by employers.